Peter Bennett

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:15:12 -0500, Jack Erbes
wrote:

Peter Bennett wrote:

Garmin recievers only use the Garmin protocol for uploading and
downloading waypoints and routes, and for uploading Garmin's
proprietary maps or charts. Many non-Garmin programs can use the
Garmin protocol for waypoint and route transfers.

In my general inexperience with things Garmin, I may have some mistaken
impressions about the effect of the Garmin protocol. I thought data in
the Garmin proprietary format would not be read or used by an
application not specifically written to use it. In other words, if an
application was looking for NMEA data strings, it would not read any of
the Garmin proprietary data strings would it?

That is correct. You have to manually switch the Garmin receiver
between Garmin and

And I'm not trying to argue the point, I'm trying to learn more. Just
in case I have not already established my level of expertise here, I'll
say know that I know about enough to be dangerous. :)

Jack

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca