Jack Erbes

Gualtier Malde (Chuck) wrote:

snip
I looked all over for that kind of thing and didn't find it. I do wish
I were better at finding things in web sites.

snip

That was from a google search for "garmin gps 18" and the hit that
produced at http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem/

Well, perhaps except for this from Jack Erbes:

For the most part, I would not buy hardware from Garmin because it
would mean I could use only Garmin's mapping/charting packages.
Further, any interoperability (automobile, marine, topo, etc.) would
be limited to what they wanted to market or allow and require
additional purchases of more Garmin mapping packages.

I don't have anything against Garmin, their marketing is simply not
aimed at me.

But if the unit I buy has NMEA output and I have software to handle that
(Nobeltec), then I don't have to worry about Garmin's software, do I? I
hope not, because that would be a deal-breaker.

You are right, you don't have to worry as long as you have a NMEA
output. And nearly all newer GPS receivers will give you a NMEA output,
the Garmin 18 USB just happens to be one that will not.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)