Doug Dotson

"Bil Hansen" wrote in message
"Doug Dotson" wrote ...
"Dan Best" wrote ...
You know, it's funny. This question comes up all the time on the net,

but
rarely, if ever, out here where people are actually doing it (we are

about
to leave La Paz for points south). I can't remember the last time the
guns topic came up while talking with other cruisers. The sense I get

is
that very few are actually carrying guns.
- Dan

Very few admit it. While cruising a couple of years ago, I was amazed
how many carried guns aboard. Probably better than 50% of the folks
I talked to about such things.

And those who don't admit it (to foreign govts) can get in trouble. See
the
recent case in Indonesia
(http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1306001.htm):

"A Bali court has sentenced Western Australian millionaire yachtsman
Christopher Packer to three months jail for firearms offences.

"However, the 52-year-old expects to be released in the next few days as
he
has already served the sentence while awaiting trial on charges of not
declaring the presence of weapons on his boat.

"Marine police stopped Packer last November as he attempted to leave
Indonesian waters on a round-the-world cruise.

"They arrested him after finding six firearms on his ship, including a
semi-automatic rifle, two pump-action shotguns and a revolver.

"On his way into court today, Packer said he was not feeling confident.
But
there was good news waiting for him inside the courtroom.

"The judges found him guilty of the non-criminal offence of failing to
report the presence of firearms on his ship and sentenced him to three
months in prison, including time already served."

Choosing to carry firearms in coutries where they are illagal is another
matter. Anyone that gets caught deserves what they get.

Cheers

Bil