Lloyd Sumpter

Default Continuing Saga of Far Cove's Engine

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 18:43:09 +0000, noah wrote:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 12:19:47 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Hi,
I know nobody wants to talk boats here, but here goes...

Took Far Cove out today to see if adjusting the stop lever solved the
low-rpm
problem. Got just outside the marina, opened it up a bit, and noticed I was
going slower. Long story short: Forward gear is hosed.

Sorry to hear it, Lloyd.

I know it's not the same, but I once had an outdrive seize about 8 miles from
the launch. It was a long, lonely, paddle back. I had a lot of time to think
about my obsession with boats; the expense, the work, the aggravation, and the
utter nonsense of it all.

Thanks for the concern.

Actually, it's not really bad news (not like yours - I'll guess you weren't
thinking of replacing the outdrive before it lunched). I was flipping back and
forth between replacing the engine or fixing up the existing one and making do
for a few more years. As I said, the boat made the decision for me.

But you're right: as I was trying to dock the boat using only reverse, then
Once Again pulling the panels off, getting out the tools, adjusting a trouble-
light, peering into the little access holes, I was thinking "I'm tired of this!"

So, I'll visit the bank as soon as it's open and see if they like me enough
to lend me more money, then get the new one ordered and pull the old one. I'm
thinking of various ways to power Far Cove "between engines". I thought of
mounting Near Cove's electric on the stern ladder, but I think it's too far to
the water. Or bolt some temporary engine (electric?) to the propshaft plate...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36