Dennis Pogson

Me wrote:
In article ,
"Gualtier Malde (Chuck)" wrote:

That's good news - so generally the formats of nautical charts and
ones for highway use are the same?

NO, they are not the same or even close. what the guy said was that
if your GPS can output Lat/Long it will drive the map system that you
have loaded in the application. Each mapping system is usually
mutually exclusive, and propritary to the program. BSB isn't the
same as Delorma, which is different from Bluechart or some of the
others. One program doesn't do both......

But all of them understand the NMEA protocol, which is the language of GPS.
The NMEA sentences
are usually downloaded in decimal lat/long and interpreted by the receiver
into degrees, minutes and centiminutes to 3 decimal places for nautical
nav., but you can set most receivers in their built-in setup programs to
Deg, Min.sec., or Ordnance Survey co-ords, or many other formats.
My Garmin does this, but I can't answer for all GPS recevers.

Dennis.
- - -
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate
calibration using Oziexplorer.
Remove *nospam* to reply.