Doug King wrote:

Possibly, but you should realize that Steve Colgate is both a very good

sailor and a very good teacher. I'm not sure how good a writer he is,
but his schools are very highly regarded. You may scoff that nobody can

teach everything one needs to know about sailing or boating in seven
days, and I bet he'd agree. But I bet you'd be impressed if you checked

out what his course *does* teach in 7 days, and I'd be very surprised
if
they claim to teach it all or even a majority of knowledge & skills
needed.

*********

The average person would probably learn ten times as much in a seven
day class as they will learn in seven days of self-study with a
textbook. I agree.

I just hope that too many people don't buy a book that promises to make
them "cruise-ready" sailors in seven days, browse through it for a
week, and then set off on an aggressive itinerary.

Even an old stinkpotter like myself could probably learn very basic
sailing techniques with seven days of intensive instruction.........but
most of us would be ill-advised to rely solely on self instruction from
a book, regardless of claims made in the title or on the cover.