DSK

This is probably the wrong NG.

Most of the boaters here have outboard powered runabouts.

rec.boats.cruising is almost entirely sail.

A book came across my desk within the last couple of weeks. It is
called "Fast Track to Cruising- How to go from novice to cruise-ready
in seven days". I haven't really looked at it very closesly, as I
thought the premise was preposterous, perhaps even dangerous.

I agreed until I read further and saw the author.

It might be of interest to anybody hoping to become an "instant"
sailor. (Mapquest charting).... It is written by Steve and Doris
Colgate, a couple who run an enterprise known at the Offshore Sailing
School.

The cover claims that the school has turned out more than 100,000 seven
day wonder "Sailing School Graduates". I think I encounter a few of
them everytime
I get underway. :-)

Possibly, but you should realize that Steve Colgate is both a very good
sailor and a very good teacher. I'm not sure how good a writer he is,
but his schools are very highly regarded. You may scoff that nobody can
teach everything one needs to know about sailing or boating in seven
days, and I bet he'd agree. But I bet you'd be impressed if you checked
out what his course *does* teach in 7 days, and I'd be very surprised if
they claim to teach it all or even a majority of knowledge & skills needed.

Expect to enjoy many, many years acquiring and improving your skills.
You will never be finished learning, no matter how much you eventually
know.

Agreed, and that (to me) is one of the fun things about sailing,
boating, and cruising. There is always more to learn, and new places to go.

Chapmans is a must, and USCG Aux or Power and Sail Squadron classes are
very highly recommended for a beginnner. Have fun, and stay safe. :-)

I'd rank Colgate's classes above the USCG Aux or Power Squadron. Those
guys are usually very doctrinaire, and their courses provide no hands on
experience. The Colgates give classes, and emphasize interactive
learning, then put you in a boat with an expert instructor.

DSK