DSK

Jeff Morris wrote:
I've been using an old Sears 7 inch automobile buffer for years to do my
annual topside waxing, but I've noticed others in the yard have a heavy
duty buffer that works a lot better. However, I haven't seen anything
in the stores that's sold as a buffer. Does anyone have any advice on
what I might get? Since I'll only use it a few times a year it doesn't
have to be super high quality.

We bought a Coleman 10" buffer at Wal-Mart that has worked great. It's
got a random orbit action, a thick soft foam rubber disc, and isn't very
heavy. It works even though it was dropped about half into the water one
time and yanked very quickly back up by the cord (no, it wan't *me* that
dropped it).

Also, I've heard its easy to get too aggressive with these buffers; any
advice?

Well, you certainly don't want to press too hard or use too coarse a
grit. We use 3M Superfine and make several passes in a big figure-8
pattern; then wash the hull and rinse very thoroughly. Don't skimp on
buffing pads, if one is looking slightly sodden or raggedy, change it.

A dilute Simple Green is good for getting the waxy grit off; we have
used 3M Marine Wax (after changing pads on the buffer) and 2 coats seems
to last about a year. My wife is very diligent about the appearance of
her boat!

Hope this helps.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King