Larry W4CSC

Courtney Thomas wrote in
:

Larry,

In that I just read an article on charging that posited that in order to
conduct proper maintenance functions on batteries that... temperature
sensing is indicated, so, pardon the 2nd post, but I forgot to
ask...does the Vector do temperature sensing ?

What's your take on the temp sensing question ?

Thanks again,

Courtney

No. I've never had a battery charger that does temperature sensing. I
don't know of anyone else who does, either.

Call Vector and ask them about the 6 and 24V charging. Hell, they're in Ft
Lauderdale. I can't imagine them, there in the yachting mecca, not
producing a whole line of yacht chargers, but they don't. The more boaters
that enquire, the better the chance of making them interested...

My Vector starts its charging cycle at something lower than I set it for,
as it detects charging voltage and and sets its current accordingly. Then,
it shuts down for about a minute after it has run for 2 minutes, probably
measuring how the voltage drops off after its initial charge. Then, it
comes charging, again, at some different level the computer in it has set
from the parameters it measured.

It seems very sensitive to voltage changes. You cannot charge a dead
battery with this unit as it will not start and give you an error if the
battery is simply dead. For those batteries, I give them an initial blast
from the old Schumaker to get their voltage up so the Vector will start.
I'm not sure why Vector does this, but it has happened when I tried to
charge my neighbor's car when he left the courtesy lights on all night and
killed it, hard.