pmhilton

Richard Ferguson wrote:

I am in the process of changing from one kind of RV to another, and
that means that I need to figure out a new way to haul my 16 foot
canoe. The 5th wheel that I am buying occupies most of the bed of the
truck. The best solution that I can figure out is to put the canoe
over the cab of the truck, hanging out past the front bumper.

Looking around on the web, it seems that the standard solution would
be to use a Canoe support, like a tall "T" Shape, that plugs into a 2
inch trailer hich receiver. That would require me to buy the
following: 1. Front hitch for my truck. 2. "T" canoe support for
hitch. 3. Canoe rack for cab of truck. It all seems very complicated
and expensive.

Alternatively, I could weld up my own rack that attaches to the front
bumper or tow hooks, and then either use a conventional roof rack for
the cab, or weld up a special rack for the front of the truck bed.

Anybody have any ideas or other options?

Richard

I've seen several 5th-wheelers with the canoe (modest size) right on
top. Investigate the structural points of your 5th-wheel. Perhaps 1"
square aluminum tubing such as in many pickup caps & boat racks can be
added for strength.

Pete H

--
Either everyone has rights or some have privileges.
It's really that simple.