Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:47:52 -0800, -rick- wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Well, mine's a BIT smallier: a 2005 9.9hp 40-stroke. I've had it in to two
different dealers four times, to fix some fairly simple but annoying
problems:
1. it doesn't start when cold "on idle" (ie the way it says in the manual)
2. it doesn't idle when cold
3. it vibrates a lot, esp. when in gear in idle (ie WAY more than the old
Johnson Seahorse it replaced)
4. There's a big "lag" as I throttle up out of idle.

Basically, I've been told "that's the way they're supposed to run" and I'm
SOL on getting it fixed. HOWEVER, I was also told by the mechanics that
the Solution to most of the problems is the Idle Mixture, which they're
NOT ALLOWED BY LAW TO CHANGE!

There was a little metal cap epoxied over the idle mixture screw on my
Honda that the shop had no trouble removing with a bit of heat.
Apparently Big Brother hadn't gotten to them yet.

The Merc had a brass cap screwed in, which would have to be drilled out.
They weren't willing to do that.

Have they determined that your choke is working right?

Funny thing is, the one mech at one dealer looked at it and determined
that the screw that's supposed to pick up the idle RPM when you pull out
the choke wasn't even touching anything. However, they didn't even change
THAT. (They did manage to hit the trim-tab so now it pulls HARD to stbd -
I lost my grip on the tiller and the boat turned so fast I almost fell
out!)

Is the idle speed correct?

Yes. They did mention that the prop was too steep and that would
contribute to the vibration, but they didn't change it.

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12