Jeff Morris

rhys wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:54:04 GMT, wrote:

This is why I avoid going in a straight line :-)

The only way the mast would make for a problematic blank or shadow
would be if the boat and the target were both completely still.

Thanks for the clarifications, guys. So, to sum up, if you have a
mizzen, it's a great spot for a radar with little downside unless you
think you need the height of the mainmast, but then you may foul an
overlapping genoa.

Does that sum it up?

Yup. After sailing a sistership with the radar mounted high on the
mast, I mounted mine below the baby stay, and never regretted it.

Reason I'm asking is that steel ketches look good to me on a number of
levels.

Now, if I can just figure out how to put a windvane AND davits behind
a mizzen mast....G

The windvane should go high on the mizzen, as on my friends boat:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Moonshadow/Pg22.jpg

Note that the davits are behind, and also serve as a good place for
solar panels.

R.