e.grant

I've noticed a few ads in "Ducks Unlimited" magazine for Harley-Davidson
Evolution engines in duck hunting boats (shallow draft john boats, like
Polar-Craft) using the far east style long shaft open prop. Several U.S.
manufacturers. Anyone out there got a Ducks Unlimited mag handy to give an
address? I don't have one. I saw the mag in a hospital waiting room a
year ago. They looked well made and were expensive, knowing how
$$$Harleys$$ are. You could steal ideas from the ads. Seems I remember the
were using 4 blade chopper props for working in weeds and muddy waters.
Good luck.
"ewan" wrote in message
news
this is more of a theoretical question more than anything else but a
couple of mates and i were chatting about boat building and engines in
general.

basicly ive heard a lot of engines are based upon marinised car
engine based but i got to thinking how simple it would be to use a shaft
drive bike engine {1} since theres a wide range of shaft drive engines
from 550s to 1100cc especialy the 900cc yamaha diversion engine which is
dirt cheap. i know the engines wouldnt last as long but sing they start at
£80 from breakers{2} means it could be treated as disposable item like
petrol.

im just posting to see if there is any serious flaws in the idea such as
not enough torque or other variables

{1} i guess i would have to work out the forces and calculate propeller
assuming the revs arent to high

{2} breakers tend to sell all the stuff that breaks in a crash like
plastic and bits that rust leaving them with the engine which most folk
dont want to replace