Lee Huddleston

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:31:47 +0100, Padz
wrote:

Ebbtide 33
VanDer Stadt cumulant 32
I'm looking for a boat to single hand around the world, has anyone any
views on theses in steel? - how do they sail? head room, etc I'm
based in UK & woulk be interested in any suggestions - don't really
want to start steel/grp discussion but maybe unavoidable.

I cannot tell you anything about these particular boats, but I can
tell you that I am very pleased with my steel-hulled boat. It is a
Mauritius 43, designed by Bruce Roberts-Goodson, Aussie now living in
Maryland, US. I have sailed several fiberglass boats and have owned
an O'Day 25 for twenty-five years. I really cannot say that there is
any desernable difference in sailing characteristics from one material
to the other. Obviously size, displacement, and design do make a big
difference.

I can tell you that I feel much safer in my steel-hulled boat. I
don't worry that something or someone is going to hit it and crush it.
Nor do I worry about bumping into docks etc. as much as I would with a
fiberglass boat.

One other advantage for someone contemplating sailing around the world
(so I am told but cannot confirm on my own), is that the skill to weld
and repair steel is found in even the poorest and least developed
countries on your route.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove