inaki inaki is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padz
Ebbtide 33
VanDer Stadt cumulant 32
I'm looking for a boat to single hand around the world, has anyone any
views on theses in steel? - how do they sail? head room, etc I'm
based in UK & woulk be interested in any suggestions - don't really
want to start steel/grp discussion but maybe unavoidable.

Ta

we may be selling our cumulant 32 depending on how we get on with an enlarged family
We restored a Van Der Stadt cumulant 32 a couple of years ago with a similar idea as yourself. In our opinion its a comfortable size for two if you're living on it. small galley but sufficient. large self draining cockpit can feel a bit exposed but holds very little water, can't have it both ways. sails very well making 40-45 degrees off the wind. Realistic cruising speed about 5 to 5.5 knots. low freeboard can make it relatively wet at times but then it also means she goes well to windward in a blow. standing headroom at least 180cm. we spent ages dealing with rust replacing plating were necessary but now its good. Modern paints make corrosion not such a big problem. you do have to keep on top of maintaining it though. we keep a bottle of metal bright (mainly phosphoric acid) handy for the odd times we chip off any paint.
If you want more info,pics on this type of boat or you want to have a look at one contact us on valkyriemyth*hotmail.com (replace * with@)

All the best