Dan

On 8 Feb 2005 09:12:43 -0800, "Dan"

On 8 Feb 2005 08:55:34 -0800, "Dan"

The Colregs do not specify exactly what you have to do to maintain

proper watch at all times. That is purposely left for a court to
adjucate on a case by case basis.

In that case there must be some prior cases.

I'm not disagreeing. I just want some evidence.

I'm not sure what there is to disagree with. It's possible that no

one
has ever been brought to court who kept watch by looking around and
listening exactly every four hours. What I stated would be true for
someone who looked around only every 8 hours. The fact remains that
the colregs does not specify what constitutes a proper watch, and it
would be up to a court to make the determination.

But most people *interpret* it as being up on deck, on the bridge at
all times. I'd be interested in and evidence of an alternative
interpretation.