Doug Dotson

In the case of ICOM, I suspect that was a marketing move and a
good one. Paying an extra $200 for the ham enabled version was
silly, especially since the method of enabling the ham bands was just
a simple software upload. The cloning cable was simple to make and
the required software became generally available for nothing.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"krj" wrote in message
Doug,
The Icom M710 (since 2002) and the M802 both have the ham bands as
standard.
krj

Doug Dotson wrote:

It is interesting that the SG-2000 is type accepted and is "open"
yet an "open" ICOM is not. I don't really believe this is true.

Doug, k3qt
s/v CAllista

"chuck" wrote in message

Hello Bruce,

Don't mean to be picking but I'd like to be very clear on this. Are you
saying that all of the owners of "open" Icom "type accepted" radios who
operate these radios on marine frequencies are operating illegally
because the radios are "open"? Are you certain that the type acceptance
does not include an open version? Is the SGC 2000 being sold in violation
of the law then?

Appreciate the info, Bruce.

Regards,

Chuck

Bruce in Alaska wrote:

In article , chuck
wrote:

We probably need a more carefully worded statement of just what type
acceptance means in this regard (VFOs). Or are you suggesting that
"open" versions of the type-accepted marine radios are no longer
type-accepted?

Regards,

Chuck

Yes I am stating that as a "Fact", that "opened" versions of "Type
Accepted" Radios are not still Type Accepted. The owner, or operator,
is not allowed to change ANY Major Operational Charactoristic of
a "Type Accepted" radio and still have a "Valid Claim" of Type
Acceptance. This is so stated in the FCC's Rules that detail
what is allowed and what spec's are required to meet "Type Acceptance"
by the FCC Chief Engineer, and his Lab. Just doing the required testing
of a radio, takes a couple of months, for MF/HF SSB Radios, and that
doesn't include any Modifications required to get the radio into
compliance. Been there, Done that, and it AIN't EASY........

Bruce in alaska who has worked BOTH sides of this issue......