Doug Dotson

My ICOM-M710 can be tuned off frequency on the Marine SSB
channels. Not sure why that might be type accepted but a ham rig
doing the same thing is not. That's the general logic from the folks that
told me that many hams rigs are essentually type accepted.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"chuck" wrote in message
Hello Larry,

You might want to qualify that statement. Ham rigs tend to use finer
tuning steps in their VFOs than type-accepted marine radios (with the
general frequency transmit option) use in their VFOs, but it is just a
matter of degree. Both radios technically have VFOs that allow them to
tune between channels. As you know, there is absolutely nothing in an
"open", type-accepted Icom marine transceiver that would prevent anyone
from transmitting on any frequency covered by the radio. And of course,
there is the SGC 2000.

We probably need a more carefully worded statement of just what type
acceptance means in this regard (VFOs). Or are you suggesting that "open"
versions of the type-accepted marine radios are no longer type-accepted?

Regards,

Chuck

Larry W4CSC wrote:

No radio with a VFO will get type acceptance for commercial use. It's
how the FCC keeps unqualified, non-technical operators away from other
services.....