basskisser

NOYB wrote:
"hkrause" wrote in message
news:1107744171.2cdccfc95906c5085a5f8a41584a73fb@t eranews...
Swizzle wrote:
OK Harry - with all that experience at the helm....lets see some
stories for our webiste!

Regards,
Rob

You apparently didn't know we currently are plagued with a couple

of real
losers in this newsgroup who have no lives of their own and try to

live
vicariously by pretending they are me by engaging in identity

theft.

Good luck. My wife had a "real" case of identity theft (false id,

stolen
credit card, false internet auction house accounts, international

sales of
stolen goods), and we had to jump through a million and one hoops to

even
find a branch of law enforcement that would take the time to fill out

report. With the help of the site administrator of some obscure

mom-and-pop
auction house in California, I was able to trace the thief's email to

South
Carolina. With a little more digging around, I discovered that he

was
selling a stolen motorcycle (had a local officer run the VIN). I

presented
the info to local law enforcement, and they handed me off to the FBI.

The
FBI said they weren't the ones to deal with it, and said to contact

the FTC.
The FTC has no real police powers. They shuffled me to the

Electronic
Crimes division of the Secret Service. I spoke for about 25 minutes

with a
Secret Service agent in Miami, who took all of the info. He said

that
they'd subpoena AOL, Ebay, and a number of auction houses with which

the
thief had registered. The agent also said they'd send an agent from

South
Carolina and try to nab the thief selling the motorcycle. I don't

know how
it all turned out, because I never heard back from the agent in

Miami.

The bottom line...
You don't stand a snowball's chance in hell in prosecuting someone

who
logged onto a newsgroup under your name. You *might* get the

person's
internet provider to send him a warning, or maybe even cancel his
account...but don't count on that either. Law enforcement is too

busy with
*real* crime to give a rat's ass about some guy logging into Usenet

under a
false name. I guess you could get an attorney and sue. But then

again,
what are the "damages"?

Wow, I wouldn't think anything like that could happen in Naples, FL.
I'd think, because Naples is Nirvana, that crime doesn't exist there,
and there would be special safeguards given only to the people of
Naples, and not known anywhere else in the world.