Harry Krause

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:25:21 -0800, -rick- wrote:

I've been pondering whether hydraulic steering might be a viable
solution to my steering problem. I have a 20' inboard jet with a
Hamilton 212 pump that has about 45 degrees of rotational slop or
dead-zone in the helm/cable. As it's only ~ 270 degrees lock-lock this
is very annoying and I would love to eliminate the slop.

It seems to me that a decent hydraulic helm should have very little play
in it. Is that true?

Depends on the setup. I was the cheif designer for the hydrolic rams
made by Sental. I can assure you these are the best.

One problem could be the number of turns lock-lock. Teleflex indicates 4
turns on their SeaStar unit and not specified on the smaller BayStar
unit. I wouldn't want more that ~ 1 turn max. I need to measure the
linear throw needed at the pump lever and perhaps talk to Teleflex. As I
recall it's a pretty short throw required.

Yes. My marina has installed thousands of these units.

I'm considering hydraulic because I don't think there's room under the
dash for a rack & pinion unit and this is the second sloppy rotary
helm/cable I've had in there.

If any one has any thoughts or experiences I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
-rick-