Short Wave Sportfishing

On 5 Feb 2005 14:00:42 -0800, wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

There are some potential advantages, in my opinion. For instance, the
assurance of a "wet" layup. I suspect that in many of the traditional
"hand laminate" processes there are gaps at lunch times, shift changes,
etc where an underlying layer of glass is allowed to cure just a bit
more than desirable before the next layer is applied....possible source
for future delam.
There is less opportunity for dirt, dust, etc to find its way into the
laminate and that can additionally help reduce the liklihood of
eventual blistering. The use of chopped strand to build up thickness is
inconsistent with vacuum bag molding.

Interesting write up - thanks.

Curious that you should mention roller layup and things like breaks
and lunch. My wife and I took a tour of the Blue Fin facility over in
Bristol, RI this past summer and I asked that very question.
Delamination is of particular interest to me because I've had that
happen on a rather expensive boat.

The owners told me that they have a rotating schedule for the floor
workers which prevents that from happening. Most hulls are produced
fairly complete in one shift.

The chopped mat system they use at Blue Fin was interesting - I hadn't
seen one quite like it. They used a much finer material that I'd seen
previously and a special resin mix - looked almost like water.

In fact the whole damn tour was pretty interesting.

Great birthday present. :)

Later,

Tom