Pete C

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:47:50 +0000, Howie
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 01:36:34 GMT, Howard
wrote:

Well, thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm sure I will find the
right answer amongst it all. It seems that I might try the idea
of some sort of resin to seal it first and then fill.

I'll have a look at the ronseal products too.

this area is well above any risk of salt water saturation, so we
are just talking about rain and cold weather etc.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Try a Google on rec.boats.building and post there too.

Make sure the area and any new wood is well treated with wood
preserver.

Maybe chamfer or rebate the hole and use a well fitting fillet of WBP
ply.

Epoxy or structural polyurethane glues are good for this sort of
thing.

With epoxy it's best to prime the edges of the wood first and then
apply more just after the first lot has set, as it soaks into the wood
quite a bit.

Epoxy can be thickened with different things to make a very good glue
or filler.

I'd avoid using car body filler IMVHO

Is the deck flat or slightly curved?

cheers,