Bill Oldroyd

ChipsCheeseandMayo wrote:
I have this weird theory that off-site sessions should have minimum 2
instructors in case something major happens (which it can)., As
Peter said above - he got concussed by a kid waving a paddle (even
wearing a helmet) Its that sort of extreme situation which really
worries me.

I would agree with you. I would only be prepared to work in these
situations if I knew I could rely on the members of the group I was
instructing, or if the area being used for paddling was totally safe
(for example, if someone capsized they could stand up) and other help
was reasonably close at hand.

If you have to work in these situations, I would explain your concerns
to the kids before you start and then tell them what you would like then
to do.

In terms of rescues, have you considered asking the swimmer to use a
T-rescue where the kayak is pushed sideways up the front of your kayak.

Bill