Alan Adams

In message .com
"ChipsCheeseandMayo" wrote:

Wow - lots of answers overnight and lots of questions

Ewan - thats a great tip about getting them to raft up as they got on -
I will definetly give it a try. I still have a concern about rafting up
- it can be pretty windy in in a raft they could get a long way
downwind during the duration of a rescue. At least if they are milling
around they can paddle to stay in the general area. But then I suppose
if a couple more capsize then I am screwed. So yes, I will try getting
them to raft up in case of capsize. I guess maybe pick out a couple of
more able novices to be my "deputies"

If you're operating in this sort of wind, you need to ensure it is onshore.
Anything else, as you've found, leads to problems. A raft will drift a LOT
faster than a rescue, because for most of the time a rescue is tethered in
place by the drag of the swimmer. A raft has a lot less resistance. Sending
them to shore is possibly a better option - not doing that was highlighted
as part of the cause of the Lyme Bay incident - they rafted instead, and
drifted out to sea.

Incidentally, in windy condiions you do start your trips upwind, don't you?
The river section I've done a lot of tasters on, forces the start to be
downstream and usually downwind. 10 minutes paddling out, 40 minutes
paddling back sometimes.

I did the training, the hours and passed the assessment. The training
was internal, the hours were internal and the asessment was
semi-internal.

That's close to being unapproved - you should never be assessed and trained
by the same people, and it is better for your breadth of knowledge to do
training and assessment with different organisations. You should be learning
during both events.

I felt qualified for what I was doing at that centre
i.e. teaching on ponds or on a loch but with 2 other back up
instructors. I had never coached on my own prior to my current
centre. I guess I question my qualification because well lets just say
- my SPA training with same employer was signed off after one day (its
meant to be 2 days min)..

snip

The problem is we dont have enough boats or trailer space to take a
group of 16 hence they cant justify another instructor.

With a three hour session (now that's long) you should have time for a
double journey. If you're further from base than that, then you're really in
trouble, on your own without transport.

You guys are
really helping me out though. I have never seen a coaching viewpoint
other than at my previous centre. Maybe I need to go on a coaching
processes course to open my eyes a bit...

That sounds like a good idea. (I haven't done one yet, so I'm not sure what
it contains). I would also suggest level 3 coach training. Taking training
before you expect to be ready for assessment can be very good, as you come
out with an action plan which helps you fix up your weaker areas, and gives
you lots to think about. BUT don't do it internally - you need to see other
viewpoints, and get to talk things through with other coaches and
candidates. As you've seen from this group, other views can help. Without
that you get in a rut of thinking what you've "always done" must be OK.

Hmm... Three hour session... Too long for just "taster" activities, and yes
they will get bored if you stick to that. Long enough for those more able to
really develop away from the others. You really need to be teaching, rather
than introducing, to keep their interest. Getting the better paddlers to
help is going to be a good strategy, as it keeps them occupied and
interested, and will also help the others. Just avoid allowing them to show
off too much as it can be off-putting to those who find it difficult.

--
Alan Adams

http://www.nckc.org.uk/