Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

Are you referring to analog cellular vs digital cellular?

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

On my phone the data cable plugs into the same jack as the battery
charger. Plugs into a USB port on the computer. Always indicates
the connect at 115K baud. Phone is a SANYO SCP-5300 using
Sprint.

Doug
s/v Callista

One note of caution here folks.......Just remeber that SOME folks
don't know the difference between Cellular Phones, and PCS Phones,
and the difference in distance from the Cellsites between the two
ARE significant. Also the differences between the two for DATA Services
are ALSO Extremely significant.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Well actually there are three different things that all are commonly
called Cellular.

1. Analog 800Mhz Cellular
2. Digital 800Mhz Cellular
3. PCS 1800 Mhz Cellular

Where most folks get confused is between 2 & 3. All those fancy
CameraPhones are usually PCS Systems, as they need the bandwidth
to do all that fancy stuff. Analog Cellular is really on its way
out as it takes up to much bandwidth, but is still around as a
Legacy Mode, and must be supported for a while yet. PCS requires
MANY more cellsites to cover the same are, as its range is significantly
less, due to the frequency and portable antenna system requirements.
We, up here in alaska, will not get PCS added to our cellsites
untill later this summer, and the practical considerations will not
be condusive to it actually working very well, as our cells are
VERY LARGE (40 Miles diameter) compared to normal City Type Cells.
In anticipation of PCS coming online, I just bought a really nice
Celwave PCS Panel Base Antenna that will be going up on my tower.
I alsoi am doing the research on an Bidirectional Amplifier to
boost my PCS signal up to the allowed 3 Watts. It is going to
take that much, as the cellsite is 16 miles away, over water.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @