Allan Bennett

In article , Ste
wrote:
On 3 Feb 2005 13:43:56 -0800, "ChipsCheeseandMayo"
wrote: snip

(Adapted from BCU Coaching Directory, Section 5/23)

The main purpose of updating is to ensure that coaches are kept up to
date with best practice.

Are you sure? Don't you mean 'ensure coaches are indoctrinated'?

You need to update at least every three years.

....by attending a single-issue course once every 3 years - that keeps you
up-to-date???

After letting my BCU membership lapse, I was told that my coaching
qualification was no longer valid, as I couldn't be up-to-date if I wasn't a
member.

Best bit

....but I could revalidate the award by paying the back-fees. Which,
amazingly, would bring me back-on-track with their current practice!

(BTW, I wasn't the only one in this situation)

In the meantime, I had done more technical research than anyone else, written
coaching newsletters, developed a new approach to teaching technique,
presented numerous lectures to packed audiences, run a development squad
(officially!), coached national champions and International team paddlers and
taught on level 3 courses by request...

I refused to pay, stating that I thought it was corrupt.

/Best bit

3. Self certification.

Ah, yes. BCU to a tee. Once certified, expulsion from the Union as
'mentally sick' - isn't that what happens?

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of the certified