ChipsCheeseandMayo

Wow - lots of answers overnight and lots of questions

Ewan - thats a great tip about getting them to raft up as they got on -
I will definetly give it a try. I still have a concern about rafting up
- it can be pretty windy in in a raft they could get a long way
downwind during the duration of a rescue. At least if they are milling
around they can paddle to stay in the general area. But then I suppose
if a couple more capsize then I am screwed. So yes, I will try getting
them to raft up in case of capsize. I guess maybe pick out a couple of
more able novices to be my "deputies"

I did the training, the hours and passed the assessment. The training
was internal, the hours were internal and the asessment was
semi-internal. I felt qualified for what I was doing at that centre
i.e. teaching on ponds or on a loch but with 2 other back up
instructors. I had never coached on my own prior to my current
centre. I guess I question my qualification because well lets just say
- my SPA training with same employer was signed off after one day (its
meant to be 2 days min)..

I can do eskimo rescues no prob - unfortunately that is not in option
for me. They are paddling boats with no decks so they just fall out.
Perceptive comment though - paddling wherever I have done it I am
usually the only girlie. The only method I have ever seen of emptying
boats is of bloke effortlessly dragging boat over their own and
emptying - sometimes they would even empty it held over their heads
This is the method I was taught and the method I thought was right. I
was vaguely aware that you may occasionally get the victim to assist -
it never really struck me as being an OK thing to do - I always saw it
as a failure and an inadequacy on the instructors part - boy have you
guys changed my mind!

There is a sheltered(ish) area to this Loch but we tend not use it as
it tends to be older kids we take to the loch and they get really bored
in this small bay - we like to paddle them up the Loch a bit so they
feel they are really kayaking - which makes it hard to stop and play
games because I really dont want them to fall in (three hour session)

Peter, I may not have painted my current employer in a particularly
nice light but generally they are fine. Im a lot more impressed with
their ethos and safety procedures than at my previous centre.

I remember Lyme bay, and I know its the reason AALA was set up. In
really serious conditions I would turn around and say no. The problem
is (and this is probably naive) I have a certain loyalty toward my
employer. As well as safety I feel I have to consider the fact that
disappointed clients is bad. Hell, jsut writing that I realised how
stupid its sounds. The problem is, everyone else does it without a
murmur whereas I would be so much more comfortable with a second coach.
I don't believe I am operating outside the BCU guidelines, however I
have this weird theory that off-site sessions should have minimum 2
instructors in case something major happens (which it can)., As Peter
said above - he got concussed by a kid waving a paddle (even wearing a
helmet) Its that sort of extreme situation which really worries me.

The problem is we dont have enough boats or trailer space to take a
group of 16 hence they cant justify another instructor. You guys are
really helping me out though. I have never seen a coaching viewpoint
other than at my previous centre. Maybe I need to go on a coaching
processes course to open my eyes a bit...