Ewan Scott

On 3 Feb 2005 05:47:01 -0800, "ChipsCheeseandMayo"
wrote:

"I've had three 3 star paddlers involved in rescuing this big lad. he
has sunk two instructors and flooded his own boat in rescues, so if in
that situation you need to find a way that works for you - even if it
isn't textbook. "

Thats the sort of situation I am worried about - any ideas for
unorthodox methods?

For waht its worth the others don't raft up if there is a capsize
a) beyond their abilities

No it's not. Even complete novices can get the message on rafting up.

When you get them on the water this is the procedure.

1/ you get on the water first.
You assist each other paddler getting onto the water. As they second
paddler gets on he gets told to join up with the first. That way right
at the outset you have your group under control so that you can
demonstrate and tell them what you expect them to do. They have, into
the bargain, discovered how tor aft up.

2/Before moving off you advise them that if there is any capsize, that
you will deal with it, and they should raft up. Alternately in near
the shore, get ashore. (But there are issues here too)

b) they would really catch the wind and be miles away by the time
rescue completed.

They would at least be together. Leave them scattered and they could
be spread across acres of water by the time you have struggled with
your rescue.

There are three issues here. One is your group control, another is
your rand the third is yopur emergency procedure.

If you can deal with the former, the remainder become less of an
issue. something you said in another post concerns me.

You question your ability...

I guess I am unsure as to whether I actually am Lvl 2 Kayak coach
standard - surely if I was I wouldn't be worrying like this....

Are you or are you not? Did you do the training, did you do the hours,
did you do the assessment? If so, then you are, and it is the duty of
every coach to improve their skills, this is just part of improving
those skills.

One thing that I see a lot of is lack of Group Control. The rescue
staff at the local wter park see lots of it too. When you get people
out on the water the only way to stay safe is to retain group control.
You need to call them in to order, make sure they are buddied up at
least, but certainly don't let them wander off. If you have group
control they will do what you ask them in an emergency. if you don't,
then they could be anywhere because they don't know what to do if
things go pearshaped.

I just noticed the female bit. I'm afraid it doesn't wash. Emptying
the boat is a question of style rather than muscle. I've got 13 year
old lasses doing eskimo rescues amd putting me back in my boat. Sorry
if this sounds arrogant, but you need to look at your style and how
you tackle the job. Here's a suggestion that might be way, way off
beam. If so I apologise.

Did you do your training in a macho male environment? If you did you
may have seen muscular lads hauling boats across their decks without
thinking twice about how they did it. They would just teach you to do
the same instead of developing a technique that helps you do the job
without using every muscle in your body.

I've seen men teaching and there can be a macho thing about muscles
and power. I've seen women teach and usually they show more finesse,
more technique.

Ewan Scott