Evan Gatehouse

Roger Long wrote:
I'm swinging (no pun) to the Delta. I read a review (sorry, forgot to
save the link) by someone who compared it to the CQR over a long trip.
As a designer, I found one point (again, no pun) compelling. The
hinge isolates much of the anchor weight of the CQR from pressing the
tip down. It also makes the anchor more of a pain to handle.

My experience:

35# CQR - o.k. holding power but not great

35# Delta - much better holding power than the CQR, better setting.
Not good in mud where the CQR seemed to do better. Held our 30'
rather high windage cutter in winds so strong that my wife and I had
to yell into each other's ears from 6" away to be heard.

I don't know how hard it was blowing but it was _lots_ more than 40
knots. (I've sat at anchor in 40 knots on same anchor with other
boats beside me reporting windspeed on their anemometers and it was
not blowing anything near that hard). The spray off the ocean with
very short fetch (a few miles) was spreader high.

33# Bruce - limited holding but very fast set. I've seen people drag
*twice* with a Bruce and literally pull them up with a nice bowling
ball size rock jammed in the flukes. I've got one on my new boat now
and don't trust it.

Avoid anchoring near the kelp up there with any anchor! Have a fun trip.

Evan Gatehouse

In a gale you sometimes don't have time to row out a 2nd anchor if the
wind rises fast enough.

Evan Gatehouse