rhys

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:50:52 -0800, Skipper
wrote:

Do you have a windlass? I have a comment about the "lunch hook"
concept. I always use my main anchor, no matter. Whether I think I am
there for 10 minutes or 2 weeks, I use the REAL anchor. That way, I am
never going somewhere else for 5 minutes and worrying about my boat.

Can't argue with your logic or experience. However, I have always
interpreted the phrase "lunch hook" as "the anchor you put down on a
light-air day in a bay or off a beach when you want to read a book and
have some sandwiches under the bimini".

Hence the term "lunch". In my case, that's a 15 lb Danforth on 7 to 1
scope, with a 5/8" nylon rode. My main anchor is a 15 kg. Bruce on 200
feet of nylon with 20 feet of chain and a kedge if necessary and a big
old yachtsman's if something goes wrong and I drop the Danforth (which
is an alternate stern anchor).

My boat's 33 feet and 10,000 lbs. loaded. Why the hell would you leave
the boat when you've got just the "lunch" hook deployed? Leaving the
boat implies "shore hook" or "every hook because I'm not aboard to
check my anchors" .

Get a windlass. Get a chain rode. Use your big anchor. If all chain
is not appropriate, use a snubber.

You can also provision for chafe gear on deck and a snubber in the
form of a hitched on line to a second cleat.

R.