Ewan Scott

On 2 Feb 2005 08:13:57 -0800, "ChipsCheeseandMayo"
wrote:

Hi there,

I am involved in teaching to people to kayak, and inevitably sometimes
they fall in. Before anyone gets too horrifed - yes, I can rescue
someone but I need to use them to help empty the kayak.

My problem is I am physically quite weak, quite short and quite light.
(5'3" and about 9stone)

I find it generally impossible to empty a kayak unaided (the "victim"
helps as I am instructing solo). To elaborate - I drag the capsized
kayak over my own (usually we use Pyranha Masters which are quite
large) I get it so that the cockpit is over my cockpit. I lean out as
far as I can to try and use my weight to see-saw the kayak. It is at
this point I fail dismally. I am entirely incapable of getting the
water logged end of the boat (the rear end usually with twin air bags)
out of the water so that I can drain water out.

I teach mostly kids between ages 10 and 18, we do odd sessions with
younger groups. At some point we have to do rescue with them all.

There is absolutely no problem with using the victim to help empty the
boat. In fact if they are not panicking it gives them something to
keep their mind off the cold. If you can get the capsized boat our of
the water and onto your deck, then use the victim to assist. You can't
afford to waste time pratting about trying to be Mr Universe.

If you have problems getting some paddlers in. We have one lad who
weighs in at about 16 stone and he's only 14! Ask yourself what the
aim is. Is it to pass an assessment? If so you need to get him in on
your own, one way or another. If it is for real, the aim is to get him
back in the boat regardless of style.

You would nornmally have advised your party to raft up in the event of
a capsize - one presumes. Those in the raft are relatively safe and
secure. So, you could either ask the better of the group to come and
hold the opposite side of the boat steady whilst your victim clambers
in. Or, you could use the end body on the raft as support for the
other side of the boat. His own boat secured by the next person in the
raft.

I've had three 3 star paddlers involved in rescuing this big lad. he
has sunk two instructors and flooded his own boat in rescues, so if in
that situation you need to find a way that works for you - even if it
isn't textbook.

Ewan Scott