Skipper

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 02:07:14 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

My boat is only 32 feet and not set up for chain storage or windlass
installation. I'll have to with 25 - 50 feet of chain and nylon. I
have a few pear shaped lead weights of about 20 pounds with holes
through them. I'm going to run a short line with a snap shackle
through one. I'll keep it in the bilge and, if ever faced with a
really dire holding situation, hook it onto the end of the chain.

I've always dealt with tough anchor pulls by taking the nylon rode
around a halyard winch. I wouldn't ride to it for obvious reasons but
it makes pulling the boat up to the anchor if I can't or don't want to
start the engine a lot easier.

I used a primary (sheet) winch before I installed a big Maxwell
windlass. It has a good capstan for line rodes in addition to the
chain gypsy.