Peter

ChipsCheeseandMayo wrote:
I am a level 2 kayak coach since two years ago. I gained this
qualifcation working for a large activity holiday provider. While I
worked there we used a 3 coach to 24kid ratio and one of the coaches
was a level 3. This was good as although it was still strictly within
the one to eight you always had backup if you needed it.

Now its a 1 to eight ratio which is fine onsite. Kids fall in swim to
the side and empty their own boats. If they are freezing they go off
and get showered. (No wetsuits)

snip

Personally, I don't like working with no other backup either. I had an
incident a couple of years back, where I was concussed badly by a stray
paddle (unusualy I even had a helmet on that occasion). On the water in
a docks environment, with 8 kids, and one was classifiable as
uncoordinated.

The centre I help at uses a ratio of 1:6 with a minimum of 2 coaches on
the water. So the worst case is 2:12 / 3:18. I see this as sensible, and
employ that for my club, where we always have 2 people with a group
(although the second is sometimes a good 3* preferably with CST, because
we aren't blessed with coaches)

So, even as a more experienced, higher qualified coach, I agree with
your reluctance to do 1:8 in a remote location. Working for a centre, do
you have a risk assessment for this activity? What do they regard as the
risks?

Good Luck

Peter