ChipsCheeseandMayo

I am a level 2 kayak coach since two years ago. I gained this
qualifcation working for a large activity holiday provider. While I
worked there we used a 3 coach to 24kid ratio and one of the coaches
was a level 3. This was good as although it was still strictly within
the one to eight you always had backup if you needed it.

Now its a 1 to eight ratio which is fine onsite. Kids fall in swim to
the side and empty their own boats. If they are freezing they go off
and get showered. (No wetsuits)

Its offsite thats the issue. I get dropped off with eight (older)
clients at the lochside. The minibus then leaves. We pile the kids
change of clothes (if they have actually managed to bring what was
asked) under a Kisu and leave them on the bank. No changing facilities
or showers. (I do have a mobile but reception is very dodgy)

So I'm there on my own with eight clients and no bank support. This is
a pretty huge loch. I explain to the clients that it is important they
stay close to the bank and to me. At first they do then they get more
confident and we end up spread over say 20 m 50m from the shore, (Why
is there always one client who just cant paddle. Another reason two
coaches is good one can help the slower ones). And probably a few
hundred m from the get in. So if someone falls in I really am on my
own. This is the scary bit.

Maybe I just need to have more confidence in my own abilities (and
learn to roll confidently). Its the what ifs that are the issue. What
if a client accidentally knocks me out with their paddle?

First time I was asked to go out on my own I was pretty horrified. I
know what the ratios are but one coach off site seemed a bit
(potentially) unsafe. I said I wasnt happy, my boss said not a problem
but if you cant do it we cant count your qualification and your wages
will be docked accordingly. Fair enough.

Im very grateful for all your feedback. Never again will I feel guilty
making a client help empty their boat. Geting them back in using a
sling sounds interesting - whats a good length to use? Is it likely to
snap your paddle?

For those of you who coach what ratios do you use? Is it usual for you
to take a novice group on your own.? Thanks again...