Larry W4CSC

wrote in
ups.com:

RayMarine radar.

Best of luck on the 2KW Raymarine, Geoff. We just got our THIRD 2KW radome
out of Raymarine, the other two eaten by the internal condensation rusting
the magnetron and corroding the hell out of that pot metal box the
electronics is mounted in. It was all loaded up with fresh water and it
hasn't rained much in Charleston SC this year dome 2 has been up so it must
be condensation, same as in an empty gas tank.

I'm considering producing a truly sealed cover you can pressurize with dry
nitrogen for the raymarine domes to keep them out of the destructive
environment they're not made for. It'd probably work great if we could
keep it out of the sun and breathing in and out through the little rubber
tit drain only dry nitrogen...(c;

Range drops very gradually as the components corrode, then the little
printer stepper motor Raymarine has driving the rubber band drive stops
when its stepper electronics is finally destroyed. How awful.

Someone mentioned a Raytheon in my other thread. I saw an old Raytheon on
an old sloop, the other day. Its dome looks much better made.