Ste

On 2 Feb 2005 08:13:57 -0800, "ChipsCheeseandMayo"
wrote:

Hi there,

I am involved in teaching to people to kayak, and inevitably sometimes
they fall in. Before anyone gets too horrifed - yes, I can rescue
someone but I need to use them to help empty the kayak.

My problem is I am physically quite weak, quite short and quite light.
(5'3" and about 9stone)

I find it generally impossible to empty a kayak unaided (the "victim"
helps as I am instructing solo). To elaborate - I drag the capsized
kayak over my own (usually we use Pyranha Masters which are quite
large) I get it so that the cockpit is over my cockpit. I lean out as
far as I can to try and use my weight to see-saw the kayak. It is at
this point I fail dismally. I am entirely incapable of getting the
water logged end of the boat (the rear end usually with twin air bags)
out of the water so that I can drain water out.

I am a similar size and weight to yourself and too almost exclusively
work alone, admitedly recently with fairly small groups. If the
capsizee (ok it's not a word...) exits the boat while it's upside down
then there is very little water in the boat and it is just a case of
making sure you get the cockpit out of the water quick enough so you
don't fill the boat up. This isn't difficult once you've worked out
the technique. However the capsizee often doesn't exit cleanly in
which case there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking them to
assist you in emptying the boat.

I also find it difficult, particularly with larger individuals to get
them back into the kayak. They usually find the
lie-on-your-back-and-get-your-feet-in first method is easiest for them
so this is the method I often use. It takes all of my strength and both
hands to hold their kayak so I am unable to assist them in anyway.
There have been times when I 've been pretty close to not being able to
hold the boat for them.

What other ways have you tried? A lot of people find the
lay-back-in-the-water method hard unless you're quite agile. I often
use the drag-yourself-over-the-side method or a short sling on a
paddle as a foot hold. Or if all else fails get them to shore and get
them back in (since I'll be close to shore with unsteady beginners).
Or get other members of the group to help steady the boat. Or...

If you are steadying the boat on your own, try getting your body right
over their boat, so your boat is on quite an edge. Use both hands on
the boat if you need to (I do). You can do more to keep their boat
stable than you can do to drag them in.

As I instruct solo (despite strong suggestions to the management this
may not be the best idea) I find this quite scary. I am the only
competent person with a group of eight novices. What if the victim is
too shocked to help me open the boat? What if I physically cannot get
the peron back into the boat because they are too heavy?

Speak to your managers again. The 1:8 ratio is just a GUIDELINE
depending on the group and the conditions. I have often taken more and
just as often refused to take less. If you are really not happy with a
group size then any decent manager won't make you take them (alone).
If they still won't listen put it in writing, keep a copy, and look
for someone decent to work for (seriously).

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been teaching kayaking,
what sort of level are you paddling at? I get the impression that
you've not been doing it that long. Do you get much opportunity to
work with more experienced coaches?

I would really appreciate any (useful) feedback and hints and tips from
you guys on both these aspects of the rescue (incidentally my technique
using the above methods is fine - it is strength that is lacking).
Thanks very much for your help.

With a good technique you don't really need much strength, but it is a
case of learning really good technique. Anyway I've rambled enough.
Hope some of this helps.

--
Ste, Ambleside