Skipper

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:55:44 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I need to buy a couple anchors for use in Maine and have been reading
the reviews on CruiseNews.net.

Does anyone think there is a real world difference between the "best"
and above average in these tests? Often tests like that just tell you
what was best on that particular day and location.

I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one.
Is there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

The boat has a bow locker for a Danforth type so I'll probably go with
that for the lunch hook.

Do you have a windlass? I have a comment about the "lunch hook"
concept. I always use my main anchor, no matter. Whether I think I am
there for 10 minutes or 2 weeks, I use the REAL anchor. That way, I am
never going somewhere else for 5 minutes and worrying about my boat.
Get a windlass. Get a chain rode. Use your big anchor. If all chain
is not appropriate, use a snubber.

I love the Bruce. I have a 66 pound (the largest in our marina)
Bruce and all chain rode. It has never failed to set. Thousands od
cruisers use a CQR and they can depend upon it. The Luke has a good
reputation for difficult areas or deep anchorages.

Get the biggest anchor you can carry and a windlass to handle it.
Your ground tackle is the most important system on your boat. If it
fails, you lose your boat. Make it the best you can carry and use it.