Ted Marz

On 2 Feb 2005 08:09:23 -0800, "ChipsCheeseandMayo"
wrote:

Hi there,

I am involved in teaching to people to kayak, and inevitably sometimes
they fall in. Before anyone gets too horrifed - yes, I can rescue
someone but I need to use them to help empty the kayak.

My problem is I am physically quite weak, quite short and quite light.
(5'3" and about 9stone)

I find it generally impossible to empty a kayak unaided (the "victim"
helps as I am instructing solo). To elaborate - I drag the capsized
kayak over my own (usually we use Pyranha Masters which are quite
large) I get it so that the cockpit is over my cockpit. I lean out as
far as I can to try and use my weight to see-saw the kayak. It is at
this point I fail dismally. I am entirely incapable of getting the
water logged end of the boat (the rear end usually with twin air bags)
out of the water so that I can drain water out.

I also find it difficult, particularly with larger individuals to get
them back into the kayak. They usually find the
lie-on-your-back-and-get-your-feet-in first method is easiest for them
so this is the method I often use. It takes all of my strength and both
hands to hold their kayak so I am unable to assist them in anyway.
There have been times when I 've been pretty close to not being able to
hold the boat for them.

As I instruct solo (despite strong suggestions to the management this
may not be the best idea) I find this quite scary. I am the only
competent person with a group of eight novices. What if the victim is
too shocked to help me open the boat? What if I physically cannot get
the peron back into the boat because they are too heavy?

I would really appreciate any (useful) feedback and hints and tips from
you guys on both these aspects of the rescue (incidentally my technique
using the above methods is fine - it is strength that is lacking).
Thanks very much for your help.

As this appears to be sea kayaking info, I don't have a lot of help
(I'm a WW boater).

If you can get to them before they bail out (or fall out), you can
sometimes use an "eskimo rescue" (if they are trained) to get them up
before they bail.

Also, there is a "hand of god" technique where you can flip them back
up... it takes surprisingly little effort.

Once they bail then things get more difficult.
As for draining the boat, you may want to look into some small stick
bilge pumps and/or a large automotive/bilge sponge. It takes a long
time with the sponge, but eventually works.

On a training / safety note - I would think about doing things like
wet exits, eskimo rescues & wet re-entries in shallow water before
they go out. If they can't handle it, then (regretfully) cancel them
from the class.

just my opinions... YMMV.

Ted