Wayne.B

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:55:44 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:
I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one.
Is there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

The boat has a bow locker for a Danforth type so I'll probably go with
that for the lunch hook.

Both the Bruce and Spade are significantly easier to set than a plow,
and are more likely to reset if disrupted in my experience. The Bruce
has a reputation for creeping under heavy load but I have not
personally experienced this. I used a 44 lb Spade on my last boat and
hold it in very high regard. A 120 lb Spade is on order for the new
boat and will replace a 65 lb Bruce as primary anchor. The Bruce has
given no cause for concern but since the boat weighs 60,000 lbs fully
loaded, I'd like a heavier anchor.

The Danforth is fine as a lunch hook, or anywhere with a mud or sand
bottom. Use at least 5 to 1 scope, more if the wind is blowing hard.