Larry W4CSC

"beaufortnc" wrote in
ups.com:

Anyone know of, or have the resources to start, a list of spots on the
ICW where a public WiFi system is available while at anchor?
Would be pretty helpful to all,

Mike.

Oh, almost forgot. If you come up the Ashley River at Charleston to
Riverbend and anchor out near my house, you can use W4CSC on cable
broadband for free like the boys at the air force base do. My wifi router
is 50' up a tree under an inverted bucket to keep it out of the rain.
Works about 1/2 mile. Further if you use a Pringle's Can microwave
antenna:
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

Many boaters should build these little coffee can or Pringle's can antennas
if their WiFi box has an antenna connector. Being a directional beam, you
can extend the range a long way at the dock.