Brian Whatcott

eBay still shows a steady stream of Lorans for sale - often without
couplers. Put it there

Brian

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:18:29 -0800, "R.W. Behan"
wrote:

Thanks, Brian--

It's a whip, with a cylindrical fixture at the base about 1-2 inches in
diameter and maybe 1 foot high. Is this a "coupler?" If so, I'd be happy
to put it in anyone's hands who could use it. Do you know of anyone?

Cheers,

Dick B.

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:51:59 -0800, "R.W. Behan"
wrote:

Help, help, you electronic wizards out there. We've removed the Loran C
from a 20-year-old Lord Nelson Tug we bought recently, but up on the
pilothouse is a perfectly good Loran C antenna, with the antenna lead
running to the nav station. Can this antenna be used for anything else?
Specifically, for a GPS?, or maybe a VHF radio? Well, maybe a
flagstaff.....

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. TIA.

Dick B.
LNVT "Annie"

LORAN antennas come in two flavors - a whip or a long wire.
These low frequency signals at 200kHz often went through 'couplers'
then a coax to a loran connector.

The copuler is often in demand, because lorans tends to be sold
without them.
If the antenna is a whip, it may be rather long for a VHF antenna
which is about 20 inches for a 150MHz 1/4 wave.
A CB antenna is about 60 inches for a 1/4 wave at 50 MHz.

A wire antenna can be useful for HF communications. - the longer the
better.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK