Wayne.B

On 1 Feb 2005 18:51:58 -0800, "rascalfair"
wrote:
Does anyone know about where from bow to stern the center of rotation
is on a full keel power cruiser or sailboat?

I've heard it's as far forward as 1/3 from the bow....my boat behaves
differently. I'm interested in what the architects think, particularly.
Thanks in advance.....

It depends of course. As the proud owner of a full keel power cruiser
which has an incredibly large turning radius, I'd say the center of
rotation must be at least 200 feet forward of the bow.

All kidding aside though, it will turn in its own length with the
engines reversed so its hard to say where the center of rotation
really is. The largest turning radius I've ever seen was on an older
12 meter racing sloop (with a full keel of course). It was actually
necessary to start your turn well before the bow reached the windward
mark.