Capt. NealŪ

"Wally" wrote in message news
"Capt. NealŪ" wrote in message

International Rules apply on open water.
Inland Rules apply on inland water.

Are you saying that the only water that isn't inland water is open water? Is
an estuary inland water? Which rules apply to the Firth Of Forth in
Scotland?

Rule 1
Application
(a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.

I would guess the Firth of Forth is covered under the International Rules but I would have to
see a chart and the demarcation line to know for sure.

Rule 12 makes Rule 13 superfluous in any case where
there is enough water to make overtaking unnecessary
because there is plenty of space to avoid being close
enough to have to overtake and pass at close quarters.

Rubbsh. Rubbish of the highest order. The colregs apply in situations where
close quarters can occur - during a sailboat race, for example. You're
basically saying that you're terrified of getting within half a mile of
another sailboat, either in case there's a collision, or because you are
incapable of applying Rule 13.

Negative, I am saying, in the circumstance where I am sailing out in International
Rule waters, like crossing the Gulf Stream, it is unnecessary and dangerous to
pass close to other vessels. A small course correction, done early and in accordance
to sailing rule 12, makes Rule 13 superfluous.

Why is that so hard to understand?

CN