Jeff Morris

Neal, you're just making an ass of yourself. But what else is new?

You've actually claimed that you're not bound by all of the rules, you
feel free to pick and choose which you want to follow. In your words:

"I'll make the choice of which rules
I will follow and since I sail, I will follow the sailing rules which
make Rule 13 unnecessary and superfluous. I will not be put in a
position to be liable for a poor set of rules that contradict each other
by embracing the contradictions."

Lest anyone thing that Neal might be correct, here's what the
acknowledged standard reference has to to say:

"It should be noted that International Rule 13 ... takes precedence over
all other rules in Part B, Section II, ... Therefore sailing vessels and
all other vessels given priority in Rule 18, even those hampered in some
way..., must consider themselves bound by Rule 13 and keep out of the
way of a vessel they are overtaking." Falwell's Rules of the Nautical Road.

Sad, Neal, sad. You probably even have the delusion that people believe
that you really have a license.

Capt. NealŪ wrote:
You just don't understand how stupid and impossible your stance
is, do you?

It is not possible to follow all the Rules all the time. One must
decide which Rules apply to one's vessel and when they apply.
Once one does this one must ignore all the others that do not apply
or contradict.

To maintain that all Rules apply all the time is one of the most asinine
things I've ever heard. You've got a serious problem.

CN

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

Sorry Neal, all of the rules must be followed. Obviously, some imply
no action for some boats, but they all must be considered. You've
claimed that Rule 13 shouldn't even be considered because Rule 12
sometimes might be used. What other Rules need not be considered?
Rule 1? Rule 2? Are lookouts needed in your world?

You're claiming that a sailboat should ignore the rules for RAMs and
NUCs. Tell us Neal, just what rules are those? In fact, just about
the only rule that applies to NUCs and RAMs is Rule 13. The only rule
that mentions them by name says the sailboats must stay clear of them.

And what if a sailboat is also a NUC? Do we ignore Rule 18 because
Neal claims Rule 12 covers "all eventualities"? Nonsense!

One of the fundamental principles of marine law is that the rules are
mandatory. As Farwell puts it: "It will be recognized that a
disregard of any rule on the basis of convenience, courtesy, good
nature, or disbelief in its efficacy places the navigator under a
burden of proof that is almost impossible for him to carry."

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

Most of these putzes are too confused by now to know of which they
speak.

Jeff is the worst. He makes the ludicrous statement that boats must
follow
ALL the rules.
Let's see now, Jeff thinks he has to follow the rules for a sailboat,
a fishing boat,
a Not Under Command boat, a boat aground, a boat in a fog, a boat
Restricted
in its Ability to Navigate and he has to follow all these rules at
the same time.

How warped is that kind of thinking, anyway?

The fact is, one follows the rules that concern certain boats in
certain circumstances.

Rule 12 deals with how two sailboats interact. Rule 12 covers all
eventualities. One
need not concern oneself with ALL the rules in order to operate
legally. This includes
Rule 13 because it does not apply just like Rule 9 does not apply in
open water.

CN

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message

Neal,

I'm beginning to wonder about this group a little myself on this one.
There are enough racing people that must know "LUFFING RIGHTS" and the
rest should have seen it used in the America's Cup Races on Downwind
Legs.

I didn't think you were that tricky in your wording, but I guess you
were.

Ole Thom