DSK

snip

Unfortunately Cappy, you again fail.
It is the responsibility of the windward vessel to stay clear until
the leeward one becomes an overtaking vessel when she must keep clear.

If the windward vessel is unable to point at high, she will slow down
whereupon the leeward vessel becomes an overtaking vessel,

Or the windward vessel is obliged to tack away.

Are you talking about ColRegs or the racing rules?

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:
I thought that the windward/leeward situation was a crossing
encounter. A crossing encouter isn't over untill it's resolved.
It doesn't change to a overtaking situation because the windward boat
slows and passes behind the leeward boat.

Agreed. Overtaking is different from W/L. The order of precedence for
vessels under sail is Starboard over Port (for which they have to be on
different tacks), Leeward over Windward (for which they have to be on
the same tack), Ahead over Astern (same tack, again).

I can see an overtaking vessel becoming leeward or windward (and there
is a whole lot about this in the racing rules) but not vice versa.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King