Doug Dotson

You might want to check out Hugh Piggot's book "Windpower
Wprkshop" for ideas.

Doug, k3qt

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Courtney Thomas wrote in
:

Thank you,
Courtney

Ours on Lionheart, an Amel Sharki 39 ketch isn't towed. The specially-
built slow turning alternator runs off a flat "serpentine-type" belt off a
pulley on the shaft, just behind the Perkin 4-108's transmission. At 8
knots, I get about 15-18A out of it if the voltage regulator turns it
full-
on and the house battery monsters are down some. The shaft has a regular
3-bladed prop turning it. I'm amazed it can generate so much power going
so slow.

I love the idea of wind driven power supplies. The ultimate site for
homemade, great-working windmills is at:
http://www.otherpower.com/otherpowerfront.shtml
These guys use a disk brake rotor with big magnets glued to them, turned
by
homemade, wooden blades, mounted in front of homemade coils, to generate
vast quantities of power to run their mountain homes, miles from AC power
lines. I think the technology used by them on SLOW TURNING windmills
could
be adapted to SLOW TURNING propshafts right in the boats. Take a look at
how SIMPLE their pancake generators are made and how much power comes out
of them!....