Capt. NealŪ

You just don't understand how stupid and impossible your stance
is, do you?

It is not possible to follow all the Rules all the time. One must
decide which Rules apply to one's vessel and when they apply.
Once one does this one must ignore all the others that do not apply
or contradict.

To maintain that all Rules apply all the time is one of the most asinine
things I've ever heard. You've got a serious problem.

CN

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message ...
Sorry Neal, all of the rules must be followed. Obviously, some imply no action for some boats, but they all must be considered.
You've claimed that Rule 13 shouldn't even be considered because Rule 12 sometimes might be used. What other Rules need not be
considered? Rule 1? Rule 2? Are lookouts needed in your world?

You're claiming that a sailboat should ignore the rules for RAMs and NUCs. Tell us Neal, just what rules are those? In fact,
just about the only rule that applies to NUCs and RAMs is Rule 13. The only rule that mentions them by name says the sailboats
must stay clear of them.

And what if a sailboat is also a NUC? Do we ignore Rule 18 because Neal claims Rule 12 covers "all eventualities"? Nonsense!

One of the fundamental principles of marine law is that the rules are mandatory. As Farwell puts it: "It will be recognized that
a disregard of any rule on the basis of convenience, courtesy, good nature, or disbelief in its efficacy places the navigator
under a burden of proof that is almost impossible for him to carry."

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

Most of these putzes are too confused by now to know of which they speak.

Jeff is the worst. He makes the ludicrous statement that boats must follow
ALL the rules.
Let's see now, Jeff thinks he has to follow the rules for a sailboat, a fishing boat,
a Not Under Command boat, a boat aground, a boat in a fog, a boat Restricted
in its Ability to Navigate and he has to follow all these rules at the same time.

How warped is that kind of thinking, anyway?

The fact is, one follows the rules that concern certain boats in certain circumstances.

Rule 12 deals with how two sailboats interact. Rule 12 covers all eventualities. One
need not concern oneself with ALL the rules in order to operate legally. This includes
Rule 13 because it does not apply just like Rule 9 does not apply in open water.

CN

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...

Neal,

I'm beginning to wonder about this group a little myself on this one.
There are enough racing people that must know "LUFFING RIGHTS" and the
rest should have seen it used in the America's Cup Races on Downwind
Legs.

I didn't think you were that tricky in your wording, but I guess you
were.

Ole Thom