Capt. NealŪ

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message ...
Capt. NealŪ wrote:
However, I'll give you a case where Rule 12 does not cover two sailboats: Two sailboats A and B are on a beam reach. B is
directly behind A and overtaking. Both are on the same tack, neither is windward or leeward or the other. Nothing in Rule 12
covers this situation. In fact, this is the simplest case of where Rule 13 would supersede Rule 12. How could Neal be so
stupid as to not see it?

Wrong! By definition, the lead vessel is to weather of the following
vessel when both are on a beam reach. Don't you know ANYTHING
about sailing?

CN

Correction, I spoke in haste. By definition, the following vessel is
to weather of the lead vessel when both are on a beam reach.

So which is it Neal? You're making a real fool of yourself here! I can see the smoke coming out of your ears, just like an
overloaded android on Star Trek!

This is because the apparent wind is all the vessels 'see' and
the sailing rules do not address apparent wind. They address
actual wind. Because two vessels on a beam reach are bringing
the wind forward, the wind as seen from a stationery observer
would be slightly aft of abeam. This means the following vessel
is the windward vessel and according to the sailing rules, this
vessel is the give-way vessel. Since he is already the give way
vessel Rule 13 is superfluous.

So you're saying that windward/leeward depends on the exact direction of the wind? That must mean that there is a point exactly
in the middle neither is windward or leeward. Which applies then?

In this case, the lead vessel is to weather. You need to read some
old-time, square-rigger novels like Horatio Hornblower where this
concept is well understood. Weather gage is the term to which I
refer

http://www.answers.com/weather+gage&r=67

CN