Capt. NealŪ

When two sailboats are interacting, Rule 12 covers all eventualities.

Abandoning them in favor of Rule 13 is the only thing that would
cause this toggling you refer to. My point is toggling is not necessary
if the sailing rules are followed.

If one decides to abandon one set of rules in favor of a contradictory
rule then one is adding confusion to the mix and increasing the chances
of a collision. This is not the intent of the Rules.

CN

"Trantor" wrote in message ...
I believe the rule on overtaking takes precedence over the windward/leeward
rules. else it would be toggling between the two rules if the overtaking
boat is to the leeward.

"Wally" wrote in message
"Capt. NealŪ" wrote in message

This all begs the question of at what point does an overtaking situation
actually start? Where does the sailing rule end and the overtaking rule
take over. I say it never does unless the windward vessel fails to

follow
the sailing rules and creates a close quarters situation.

Ah, I see what you're saying - the leeward boat could be overtaking, at
which point he becomes the give-way, rather than the stand-on vessel. I
don't know what it says in the colregs, but the RRS has stuff about

overlaps
which could be used to define precisely when the overtaking maneuvre is
happening.