Jeff Morris

Edgar wrote:
Capt. NealŪ wrote in message

Wrong, bozo, like Jeff and Wally said, he could always tack. At any rate,
if both boats are complying with the sailing rules overtaking situations
are covered. The need for Rule 13 is nil.

I find it hard to believe some of the posts in this thread, especially when
one poster admits he does not know what is in the colregs! In a non-racing
situation why should anyone seriously suggest that a boat which is being
overtaken by another should 'tack away'? The overtaken boat needs to do
nothing except stand on, keeping an eye on the overtaking boat in case the
skipper is drunk or stupid. The overtaking boat has a duty to keep clear
until clear ahead and a further duty not to create a situation where risk of
collision exists. This implies the necessity to bear away, easing sheets if
necessary, to keep well clear of the boat being overtaken until he is clear
ahead.
Some of the posts are obviously from people who are thinking in racing
terms. In racing it often happens that the overtaking boat is going to come
quite close and try to lee-bow the other boat and leave it wallowing in his
wind shadow, in which case the boat being overtaken should anticipate what
is coming and then perhaps 'tack away' if he does not like what's coming to
him and has room to do so..

You have to be more specific Edgar, are you supporting Neal? Everyone
else has said that the overtaking vessel is giveway, regardless of Rule 12.

And what's wrong with not knowing every detail in the Colregs? Everyone
here seems to have a proper understanding except for Neal, who has the
rules in front of him but doesn't understand the words. I didn't see
anyone applying racing rules; did I miss something?